On November 9, 2017, the Illinois General Assembly passed legislation that requires “one unit of instruction in cursive writing” be implemented beginning in the 2018-2019 school year. Cursive writing is not required by the Common Core State Standards.
In Skokie School District 73.5:
- Basic cursive writing is learned in 3rd grade.
- Basic cursive writing is defined by:
- Writing uppercase letters correctly
- Writing lower case letters correctly
- Knowing how to join letters
- Writing one’s own signature in cursive
- Instructional time spent on cursive should not exceed 10 minutes per day.
- Teachers utilize the Handwriting Without Tears program. This program was selected by the 3rd grade teachers.